Mindfulness is the intentional yet gentle effort to be present with your experience in a nonjudgmental way. It means living in the moment and being right here, right now with a conscious, purposeful awareness of the present moment.
You’re not dwelling in the past nor focused on the future unless you’re doing so with mindful intention. However your experience is (or however you perceive it to be), you don’t judge it. Or, if you do judge it, you simply observe your thoughts with a friendly curiosity then release them.
Why be mindful?
- Mindfulness reduces over-thinking, which causes stress, anxiety, and agitation and can lead to depression.
- It lessens stress.
- It promotes mental health.
- Mindfulness helps with emotional reactivity. For example, it helps you not to lose your temper or speak before thinking.
Now that you know why you should begin living in the moment, here are a few quotes to inspire you to be more mindful in your daily life:
- “Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t). ~ James Baraz
- “Today, I choose awareness. I choose to be aware of the beauty of life and living. I choose to be aware of the simple pleasures in life. I choose awareness of joy, awareness of peace, and awareness of love.” – Iyanla Vanzant
- “The trick is to enjoy life. Don’t wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead. – Majorie Pay Hinckley
- “Just slow down. Slow down your speech. Slow down your breathing. Slow down your walking. Slow down your eating. And let this slower, steadier pace perfume your mind. Just slow down…” – Doko
- “Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously, they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now. And that’s a revelation for some people, to realize that your life is only ever now.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “You’re worried about how you’re going to feel at the end of your life? What about right now? Live. Right this minute. That’s where the joy is at.” – Abigal Thomas
- “Wherever you are, be all there.” – Jim Elliot
- “Don’t run through life so fast that you forget not only where you’ve been, but also where you’re going. Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored each step of the way.” – Stephen Richards
- “Mindfulness gives you time. Time gives you choices. Choices, skillfully made, lead to freedom. You don’t have to be swept away by your feeling. You can respond with wisdom and kindness rather than habit and reactivity.” – Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- “The present moment is filled with joy and happiness. If you are attentive, you will see it.” Thich Nhat Hanh
How will you make mindfulness and living in the moment a priority in your life?