I believe that one of the biggest causes of overwhelm and stress for women, and Black women in particular, is the Superwoman Syndrome, trying to do it all and filling multiple roles like wife, mother, employee, entrepreneur, daughter, etc. It’s important to realize that 1) Trying to be superwoman does more harm than good; and 2) In the long run, you won’t be able to sustain it; eventually, you will burn out.
Here’s what you can do instead of trying to be superwoman and all things to all people:
- Ask for help, whether it’s from your partner, kids, parents or other loved ones.
- Create a support system. This can be your friends or another group of like-minded women (Check out my Facebook group to connect with like-minded women).
- Prioritize. Figure out what’s really important at the moment, and forget about everything else for now. For example, some days, the laundry might sit in the basket unfolded for a couple of days because you have to finish a project. And that’s okay.
- Release perfectionism. It doesn’t exist so just do your best.
- Take time for you. You deserve it!