Breathing is one of my favorite ways to find calm when I feel overwhelmed, anxious or frustrated. And best of all, you can do this whenever you need to, no matter where you are, and you can practice multiple times a day. In this post, I’m sharing five breathing techniques you can use to tap into your inner peace. But before I do, here are a few tips:
- If possible, get somewhere that’s quiet and distraction-free.
- These can be done with your eyes opened or closed (but obviously, if your eyes are going to be closed, don’t drive or operate heavy machinery or anything like that). Sit up with your spine straight.
- You can also listen to some music to help you focus better. Search for meditation music or relaxation music on YouTube, Google Play, etc.
- You can practice the techniques until you feel more relaxed.
- Be gentle with yourself and remember, it’s a practice.
1. Deep/belly breathing. (This is actually the way you’re supposed to breathe, so it’s good to practice regularly).
- Sit tall with a straight spine and relax your shoulders.
- Inhale fully and deeply through your nose allowing your belly to fill with air like a balloon.
- Exhale completely through your nose, allowing your belly button to go towards your spine.
- Repeat 5 to 10 times or until you feel calmer.
2. Equal Breathing
- Use the same breathing technique as above.
- Count to 4 as you inhale, then count to 4 as you exhale.
- Repeat a few times or until you feel more relaxed.
3. 4-7-8 breathing (This is a great technique to use if you have trouble falling asleep).
- Inhale fully and deeply (fill your belly with air) through your nose as you count to 4.
- Hold the breath for a count of 7.
- Exhale fully and deeply (allowing your navel to go towards your spine) as you count to 8.
- Repeat 5 to 10 times or until you’re more peaceful (or asleep).
4. Relaxation Response.
- As you sit, start your from the top of your head and scan your body, releasing any tension you might be holding on to.
- Inhale through your nose, focusing on your breath.
- Exhale and say a word to yourself like breathe, relax, calm or peace.
- Continue for 2 minutes or until you feel calmer.
Get the products you need to find the inner peace you deserve! Shop your calm at BlackMomCalmShop.com today.